Tooth Attrition is a kind of tooth wear due to grinding between the opposing teeth. It results in loss of tooth structure especially on the occlusal surfaces. Tooth wear is believed as the widespread feature of ageing process. Pathological tooth wear happens due to some dental or skeletal defect at a very little age.
Too much tooth wear results a lot of oral health complications, together with unappealing and uneven tooth levels, pointy and sharp tooth edges, tooth pain and eventual damage of the teeth all in all. As the harder, external surface of the tooth is worn away, the softer dentin will be bare, speeding up the process.
The Signs and Symptoms of Dental Attrition
- Loss of tooth structure including a flattening or thinning of the teeth
- Damage or failure of previous dental restorations.
- Elevated dental pain because of loss of the enamel layer.
- Stinging or tender gums.
- Tooth discoloration as a effect of loss of enamel and revelation of the dentin layer
Symptoms of Tooth Attrition
- Pain and sensitivity to hot and cold.
- Loss of occlusal surfaces is observed.
- Yellow glistening surface come into sight on the tooth surface due to showing layer of dentin.
- Wear facets are noticed on posterior teeth.
- Deep bite is common.
- Altered occlusion due to decreased occlusal vertical dimension.
- Pain in the temporo mandibular joint because of clenching practice or traumatic bite forces.
- Effect on the periodontal health.
Causes of Tooth Attrition
- Grinding habits like bruxism.
- Deep bite.
- Decreased over jet or decreased overlap between the teeth.
- It could be physiologic reduction that is related with ageing process.
- Tooth wear due to excess acid reflux.
- If a person incessantly clenches the teeth.
- Temporomandibular joint issue.
Treatment for Tooth Attrition
- The habit breaking appliance is used to stop the habit.
- If patient grits the teeth involuntarily in night its recommended to wear the night guard.
- The wear facets are refilled back to get the normal tooth structure.
- If sensitivity is there the patient is advised to use the desensitizing tooth paste.
- Make use of fluoride varnish or adhesive agents.
- Root canal treatment is the other option to treat the sensitivity.
- Correct the etiology like deep bite or some skeletal incongruity if there by orthodontic treatment
- Placement of crowns in cases of severe attrition and damage of tooth structure.