What Happens If an Infected Dental Pulp is not treated?
The infection will continue its growth, extending from the margins of the dental pulp and involving the surrounding tissues for example the root, the bone, the gums etc. A continuing infection could easily involve facial spaces and the patient would then start observing swelling of the face. Such situation can sometimes pose a threat to the life.
Is There Any Discolouration Of Tooth After Root Canal Treatment?
No, with all the new materials and modern equipment used during the procedure, your tooth should not discolour after the treatment. If the tooth that has had a root canal and it has discoloured, then consult your dentist. It may be that germs (bacteria) have penetrated beneath the old filling.
Tips to follow after Root Canal Procedure
Avoid hard, crunchy foods after the treatment.
- • Take your prescriptions as directed
- • Check the intensity of your pain levels.
- • Keep the area clean: Your tooth may be very tender, hence be sure to not put too much pressure on it through grinding or clenching your jaw. Try not to chew from that side till root canal is fully completed.
- • Consider getting a crown for your tooth: The tooth in which you had your root canal will remain more integral if a crown is placed upon it. Root canal treatment is usually attempted in a tooth which is grossly damaged and decayed. Further, after the root canal treatment, the tooth becomes brittle like glass due to the lack of blood and nerve supply. The tooth can fracture anytime under heavy masticatory forces. Hence it is mandatory to put a crown after root canal treatment in most of the cases to increase the longevity of the tooth and preventing it from breakage.
Do I Need to Take Antibiotics Every Time a Root Canal is Done?
Not always, It is usually determined by the dentist depending on the patient and the tooth. The toothache even when it is linked with a minor localized infection or abscess will not automatically require an antibiotic. As a high number of cases will respond favourably to the dental treatment, antibiotics are not prescribed on a preventive basis.
Will I Feel Anything After Root Canal Treatment?
In most cases the quantity and quality of pain will settle dramatically within the first 24-48 hours. Any sensitivity to cold, hot or even breathing air "in" will be disappeared after the first visit. However, you will experience mild to moderate pain that will last for some time after treatment. This pain is usually relieved by taking over the counter medications such as aspirin, combiflame,ketorol. General complaint of patient is tenderness to touch, bite, tapping or chewing on the tooth. It is suggested to avoid doing from any of the above until your tooth is permanently restored. You should practically give yourself 2-4 weeks to fully recover.
My Tooth No Longer Hurts After Treatment. May I Start Chewing On It?
It is not suggested to start chewing on the tooth right away after the root canal treatment. Chewing should be avoided on it until the crown of the tooth is properly restored (repaired) by your dentist. The earlier you see your dentist, the earlier you will be able to re-start normal function on the tooth.
How Long Should I Wait to See My Dentist After the Root Canal Treatment is Performed?
Visit your dentist when your treated tooth feels comfortable (about 2-4 weeks).
Can I Wait Longer Than Recommended to Get the Crown of the Tooth Permanently Repaired?
If the remaining tooth structure is not appropriately and permanently covered and protected, your tooth could fracture. If the damage is very widespread, extraction should be considered.
Why one should opt for RCT instead of going for an extraction?
There is nothing like your own natural tooth. One should try to preserve one’s own tooth.
Success Rate Of Root Canal Treatment ?
Root canal treatment has a high degree of success if done properly by a trained professional. The success of root canal therapy is dependent upon the technical skill of the doctor, as well as the follow up of the patient, to have the tooth instantly restored.
Numbness Will Go After How Much Time After Root Canal Treatment?
The numbness will last for several hours after your treatment. It is best to avoid chewing solid food until the local anaesthesia has completely disappeared to prevent accidentally biting your lip, cheek, or tongue. One can have liquids after the treatment.
Will I be competent to go back to job After Root Canal Treatment?
Sure. The majority patients go back to work following root canal treatment. They may keep a light timetable and set up to have a rest for the duration of the days that go after treatment.
Why Do I Even now Feel My Tooth if I Had Root Canal Therapy? I Thought My Tooth was lifeless?
A tooth that has had a root canal is not "dead". It is still believed a "live" or essential part of your body. The tooth is desensitized but is fully functional.
Reasons For root canal treatments failure:
- • Imperfect Clean-up and Sealing
For root canal therapy to be successful, the canals have to be carefully cleaned and sealed. Sporadically, the first endodontic therapy was not able to eliminate enough irritants within your tooth that it fails to repair or pain persists.
- • More frequently, the canals are so thin, cynical, or rounded that the small instruments employed to clean and form them cannot wholly bypass throughout.
- • Canals are so minute they are very tricky to locate and went unnoticed or overlooked throughout the initial procedure.
- • Fresh Decay, conked out Restoration, or seeping out restoration
These can expose the root canal filling material to bacteria and other irritants in the saliva, resulting a new infection in your tooth and an abscess at the ending of the root.
- • Breakage
Trauma may have brought about the root to fracture.