While traditional dentistry focuses on improvement of oral health, cosmetic dentistry is aimed towards improving the appearance of teeth and enhancing your smile in general. From making subtle changes to major repairs, there are many ways to remodel your smile. There are techniques available to treat teeth that are chipped, missing or overlapped. While traditional dentistry looks at necessity requirements, cosmetic dentistry is more of an elective or optional choice. But, more and more people are going in for cosmetic dentistry as, apart from enhancing appearance, it also helps in boosting confidence and self-esteem.
Even process like, dental filling can be classified as cosmetic to a certain extent, as now days you can select fillings made of porcelain or composite materials that closely match the colour of your teeth.
Technological advancements have now made cosmetic dental treatment options more durable, tensile while blurring the difference in appearance with natural teeth. Also with advancements, dentists have more options at their disposal to save and restore your natural teeth.
Laser technology is more often used by dentist now days to perform some cosmetic treatments. Procedures such as smile makeover have become convenient, comfortable with the help of laser technology – more over it helps reduce the recovery time considerably.
The most common procedures used in cosmetic dentistry are very convenient and can easily be performed. Some of the treatments commonly in use include:
- Inlays/Onlays: These are also called indirect fillings. Made from porcelain or composite materials, inlays or onlays are aesthetically pleasing way to provide filling to a decayed tooth. Whereas normal dental filling is fitted into the tooth during the dental visit, inlays are made before hand in the dental laboratory and adhesively bonded into place.
- Composite Bonding: composite bonding is a procedure to repair chipped, broken or decayed tooth. Even discoloured or disfigured teeth could be corrective using composite bonding technique. Enamel looking dental composite material is applied into the cavity or onto the surface of a tooth, where it is then sculpted into shape and hardened using high-intensity light. As a result, it blends invariably well aesthetically with the surrounding tooth structure to restore or remodel your smile.
- Teeth Whitening: It is the most commonly in practice cosmetic dentistry procedure. Our lifestyle related some of the bad habits often lead to staining of teeth or discolouring. Smoking, drinks like caffeine, wine etc. and poor oral hygiene often result teeth staining. Teeth whitening can remove the stain enhancing the appearance of your smile.
- Dental Implants: Part of prosthetic or artificial replacement, dental implants are artificial tooth replacements used to compensate for tooth loss. The result is not only an enhanced smile, but also helps tremendously in boosting the confidence and raising self-esteem.
- Smile Makeover: Smile makeover is performed with an aim to improve the overall appearance looking at the smile aesthetics. Typically, smile makeover is clubbed with other procedures like veneer, gingival sculpting and teeth whitening to get the desired results. These are carried out for several teeth in both upper and lower arches in order to achieve the look you want.
- Full mouth reconstruction: during the process of smile makeover, it may come to light that a particular patient is having some functional problem with regards to bite, teeth and bone structure. In such cases full mouth reconstruction is carried out. With the kind of dental materials available now, it is very much to provide durable, functional and clinically sound treatments that also look natural at the same time.